Seven Spring Energy Saving Tips…Spring is coming! Our usual warm March is a reward for the our colder February weather. Now that you are in the mood for spring, here are seven spring energy saving tips from atcoenergysense.com to reduce your energy consumption.
- Clean your refrigerator condenser coils and ensure air can circulate freely; the motor works harder and uses more electricity when dust and dirt build up on the coils.
- Spring is a good time to ensure all exhaust fans are operating properly. Check filters for dirt and wash or replace as required according to the owner’s manual.
- Periodically drain a few liters of water from your hot water tank. This will minimize sediment build up which causes the water heater to work harder wasting costly energy.
- Fix leaky faucets. A faucet dripping once every second wastes 21L each day – this adds up to 41 baths each year.
- Install a low-flow shower head to reduce water use and the amount of energy required to heat the water.
- Enable power management features on your computer and monitor to reduce energy use. For example, reduce the brightness of your screen or set your computer to go into sleep mode after a few minutes of inactivity.
- Check your furnace filter often and change or clean according to the owner’s manual. Dirty filters reduce airflow and force your homes heating system to work harder than necessary. Call Angell Aire for a spring tune up on your furnace.