Computers are such an essential part of our everyday living. Like other electronic devises, there are ways to uses these in ways to save energy in your Lakeville home. Enjoy these ten tips for saving energy dollars with your computer from Climate Saving Computing.
Top 10 Ways to Reduce
1. Use computer and monitor power management. Doing so can save nearly half a ton of CO2 and about $50 a year in energy costs.
2. Don’t use a screen saver. Screen savers are not necessary on modern monitors and studies show they actually consume more energy than allowing the monitor to dim when it’s not in use.
3. Buying a new computer? Make energy efficiency a priority while shopping for your PC and monitor. Look for the ENERGY STAR label or browse the Climate Savers Computing product catalog.
4. Turn down the brightness setting on your monitor. The brightest setting on a monitor can consume twice the power used by the dimmest setting. Note that on most laptop computers, the display is the single largest consumer of energy.
5. Turn off peripherals such as printers, scanners and speakers when not in use.
6. Fight phantom power; plug all your electronics into one power strip and turn the strip off when you are finished using your computer. When feasible, we also recommend unplugging the power strip from the wall to avoid high voltage surges which may occur during an electrical storm
7. Use a laptop instead of a desktop. Laptops typically consume less power than desktops.
8. Close unused applications and turn off your monitor when you’re not using it.
9. Use a power meter to find out how much energy your computer actually consumes and to calculate your actual savings. If you want to increase your actual savings, review this list again and be sure you’ve set-up power management for your computer (see here for a downloadable set of detailed instructions for both Windows and Apple OS X operating systems).
10. Establish multiple power schemes to address the different ways you use your computer. For example, you can create a power scheme for playing music CDs that shuts off your hard drive and monitor immediately, but never puts your system into standby mode