Why is My Electric Bill higher in the Winter?
- Heating systems use electricity for functions like fans which run almost continuously when it is cold.
- You may use space heaters in garages or basements.
- Shorter days and long winter nights means lights must stay on longer.
- People often use electric blankets and heating pads to feel cozy on cold nights.
- Many use engine block heaters to keep their cars warm on bitter cold nights.
- Winter months are holiday months which brings holiday lighting and additional cooking and baking.
These are some of the reasons why you may have a higher electric bill in the winter months. Reasons provided by Itasca-Mantrap Electrical Coop February 2015 newsletter.